Monday, October 20, 2008

RAYS WIN THE PENNANT!

I never thought the day would come when I would say that the Tampa Bay Rays are the AL champs. When you think about it, this has to be one of the biggest upsets in sports history. I actually think I would put this ahead of the New York Giants winning the superbowl this past year. The Rays were the worst team in the American League East last year winning only 66 games. This season they shocked everybody including me, by winning 97. I never thought that they would of been able to hold onto the division lead with teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays in the way. The Rays have been unable to be competitive because of their low payroll. The Rays could never afford to go out and sign big free agents like the Yankees and Red Sox could.Infact, Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter saleries combined is greater than the entire Rays payroll. In the beginning of the season, I remember telling some of my friends they could improve this season and maybe win 75 to 80 games. Their very talented young players such as Longoria, Shields, Crawford, Upton, Kazmir, and last night Price all stepped up throughout the season and playoffs. I think this is a good story for baseball, and it shows that you dont always need the best players in order to win. I hope the Rays are able to close it out in the World Series, and not let up against the Phillies. Because I'm a Mets fan, I've grown up hating the Braves and Phillies. I could only hope that I dont have too see the Phillies raise the trophy, especially after the last two seasons the Mets had.

No comments: